Women's Economic Empowerment Developer (in Kadjebi)
Position: Women's Economic Empowerment Developer (in Kadjebi)
Location: Ghana - Kadjebi (Volta Region)
Starting: As soon as possible
Duration: 5 Months
Crossroads International is an international development organization that is reducing poverty and increasing women’s rights around the world. Working with local partners in 28 projects, in eight countries and supported by hundreds of volunteers each year, Crossroads leverages expertise and resources, North and South, required to help people overcome poverty and assert their human rights.
In 2011, Crossroads and Pro-Link’s partnership shifted it's focus to promoting women’s economic empowerment as a means to increase women’s equality, social and political power and to reduce violence against women and girls. Therefore, there is a need to direct PRO-LINK and Crossroads’ resources and energy towards this purpose. The partnership aims at developing various knowledge and human exchanges both ways and at enhancing Pro-Link’s institutional and programming capabilities to support women and girls groups aiming at creating hubs of income generating opportunities in order to assert their rights including the right to live a life free of violence, to enhance their livelihood and to be active participant in their families and communities.
Historically, through volunteers’ knowledge and willingness to share and to learn, Crossroads supports its partners and their members in two main domains: capacity building in programming and strengthening of institutional capacity. During last year’s partnership’s evaluation sessions, in the light of the changes that past trainings for women’s groups in entrepreneurial skills and gender advocacy have brought for women’s groups in the Volta regions, it was agreed that PRO-LINK will continue to support more women groups with entrepreneurial, marketing and gender advocacy knowledge in other Ghanaians rural regions and in Accra. Under the supervision of and in collaboration with PRO-LINK, the volunteer will work and live in Kadjebi in the Volta Region.
Main responsibilities include:
In collaboration with Pro-Link’s staff and women’s groups, the volunteer for this mandate will:
- Through training, relevant learning material and tangible practice/application, help develop entrepreneurial skills of women’s groups and small businesses in rural communities and occasionally in greater Accra, such as management skills, business planning, book-keeping, accounting, marketing strategies, etc.
- Expose women to various models of small business that encourage collaboration and strength in numbers;
- Work directly with groups of women and girls and assist them to identify sub-products or innovative related services that add value to their existing income generating activities;
- Research and implement systems, activities, adjustments to add value to and to make their products easily marketable locally and internationally;
- Expose women to gender related issues such as equality, power sharing, response to violence against women and women’s rights.
Qualification criteria for selection include:
- Studies in business development, commerce and marketing, or related fields
- Professional experience in business, marketing or related field
- Proficiency in gender and advocacy
- Training experience is an asset
- Knowledge of HIV and AIDS within a gender equality framework is an asset
- Analytical and research skills, effective and proven writing skills
- Oral fact-finding, presentation and communication skills
- In-country experience an asset
- Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada
- Must be 19 years and older
- Willing to conduct fundraising and public engagement activities before, during and after the placement
- In good physical and mental health (medical examination required)
- THE VOLUNTEER NEEDS TO BRING THEIR OWN COMPUTER
Personalized support before, during and after the mandate provided by an experienced and welcoming team. The Crossroads' experience includes the following:
- Daily living allowance (depending of the country of assignment)
- Plane ticket and local transport
- Medical insurance and vaccinations
- Pre-departure training and re-orientation upon return
To apply for this position, we kindly ask that you fill out Crossroads' online application form. Please contact our recruitment officer if you have any question: Martin@cintl.org
We thank all applicants but only those selected for interviews will be contacted.